Calf meal vs. Pellets

stacey.kean

Calf meal vs. Pellets

Post by stacey.kean » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Is there anyone that would like to share any experiences with me when it comes to feeding calves meal vs. pellets? My calf ladies reckon that the calves prefer the meal and that they consume more than they do if the feed is in pelleted form. I feel as if there is more wastage due to the fine consistency.

Libram

Re: Calf meal vs. Pellets

Post by Libram » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 am

Having worked in the industry for over a decade, I have seen that calf meal is associated with lung infections and in other cases, diarhoea in young weaners.
I am not sure about price tag, but we have seen better results in pellets, by just refreshing them once a day, I mean digging through them to bring out that scent that calls them young ones to eat. We would double the birth weight in 30-35 days. Citation is at Inovula Edms Book and Limpopo Dairy Pty Ltd. They can confirm my findings since I worked for them in the young ones department
LA Mokoena
lietamokoena@gmail.com

Libram

Post by Libram » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 am

Until at what age are you planning to feed them either of the two? If for 6 months it is recommended that grass bales be near, especially if there is lucern in the concentrate.
LA Mokoena
lietamokoena@gmail.com

stacey.kean

Post by stacey.kean » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks Libram. That's helpful information. A good point too to mix up the pellets to refresh them.